4.28.2008

Class Notes: Stay Away From That White!


I tend to be somewhat tyrannical about using white paint in class so two weeks of set ups with white items- almost unheard of.
White paint cools all your colors, as well as lowers their intensity. Most beginners get very nervous about color that is too intense or values that are too strong. I think it is the "too, too" thing. Take away the white and one is forced to moderate values from the palette of colors. Which, by the way, encourages better color mixing.
The challenge in "tea set" above, was to make them look white while working on a violet, wash under painting. We started with a white canvas, which is my least favorite way to work. I much prefer a canvas with several old paintings underneath; that way I don't have to work as hard to get depth in my values.

No comments: