11.13.2008

Week 3 - Look Mom, No Hands




















In class we have be exploring ABSTRACT painting.
In an effort to get away from traditional paint application (brushes) I tried to concentrate on making the paint do what it does naturally as a result of gravity. I ended up with paint on my shoes, the floor, my hair, - etc, etc.
The compositional idea at work here is sometimes called Steelyard,  also known as Mama Bear-Papa Bear, Baby Bearor Asymmetrical Composition or  Off Balance Composition.
I am sure there are other names but it is essentially a dominating element and a relating-subordinate element. Very often the dominant element is larger and the focal point as well. The small lower photo shows my dominant element and related subordinate element. I also made a strong statement as to the color that I wanted to dominate the painting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've got this 30x40 that's calling "abstract fun" to me.
I really really like the gravity process painting. "Bold" is a good way to describe it. One of my favorites for sure.
Eldon