4.27.2009

Over the River and Through the Woods to Creede, Colorado



Last week Sue McCullough and I took a painting day up to the charming mining town of Creede Colorado. Our main intent was to scope out the town, take photos and hopefully get in a painting before lunch. Built along the Willow Creek
in a high narrow canyon of the San Juans, Creede seems to literally disappear into the awesome cliffs and canyons of the mountain. On Wednesday tho', the town appeared to be shaking off the last of Winter and turning a smiling face to the sunshine.
We did paint- who could resist? It was such a beautiful day, we hardly noticed the gusty wind blowing dirt up the street. Later when I got home I realized, there was so much grit in the paint layer that I had to wipe the whole thing down;
sad, but so worth it.
Sue and I, Steven Quiller, Charlie Ewing, Kris Gosar and David Montgomery will be just a few of the painters painting the town over Memorial Day at the Taste of Creede; Saturday the 23rd, and on Sunday the 24th there will be a Quick Draw in the street in front of the Quiller Gallery at 1pm.

1 comment:

eldon said...

Wow! Sounds like you guys are going to have a boat load of fun. I've never been to Creede but did meet Steven Quiller once about 35 years ago when he came to judge an art show in LaJunta. Keep us posted on the goings on down there. I'll send it around.
Eldon